SFV Checking & deleting...

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

Itanium

SFV Checking & deleting...

Post by Itanium » 2005-11-09 06:37

When Enable Safe and Compressed Transfers is on, make DC not to delete files if SFV check fails... I think could be better renaming the file, adding badcrc as extension for example. Most of badcrc in media files are caused by tags or metadata change, wich not means that file is corrupt... So, here is an example...

Enable Safe and Compressed Transfers = On
Enable Automatic SFV Checking = On

If crc-error on downloaded file A.xxx then rename to A.xxx.badcrc and retry download
If no crc-error on downloaded file A.xxx then delete A.xxx.badcrc (all ok)
If crc-error again on downloaded file A.xxx then delete file A.xxx and remove file from queue (the other sources has the same hash for the file, so it must be exactly the same one).

With this improvement, we will be able to not loose the time spent in downloading a right file with just a changed tag (and we will be noticed if it happens with the added extension).
Trance... my way of life

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2005-11-09 08:08

If it fails a SFV check, the chances are you ain't gonna be able to open it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-11-09 09:34

Keeping broken files doesn't make any sense. There are two solutions:
1. Replace SFV files with a format that uses TTH as its base (instead of the crc32, which can be easily fooled). This has been talked about before as a "collection format"
2. When a SFV error occurs, pause the file, force the user to change the TTH root, and repair it (once someone writes the functionality bug 126).

All of these things would take time to implement, but I've thought about them a great deal.

faring

Re: SFV Checking & deleting...

Post by faring » 2005-11-15 12:13

Itanium wrote:When Enable Safe and Compressed Transfers is on, make DC not to delete files if SFV check fails... I think could be better renaming the file, adding badcrc as extension for example. Most of badcrc in media files are caused by tags or metadata change, wich not means that file is corrupt...
He has a point here. I've done this to people many times by accident. Downloaded a group of files, changed their meta-information, and reshared while forgetting to delete the .SFV. There you have an entire directory of tiles that are actually in better shape than the original, but will fail a SFV check. Having the ablility to keep them available but flagged seems to make sense. Should probably default to the current behavior of course.