DCH++ Features

DCH++ has been abandoned, this forum serves mainly as an archive

Moderator: Moderators

alvaroduarte

DCH++ Features

Post by alvaroduarte » 2003-11-14 11:07

HI Everybody...

I just want to know what features will DCH++ have?? Will it permit the multihub connection (that two or more hubs work together a one)? Will it use LUA scripts as PtokaX and PtokaX scripts will be compatible??

I wope that anyone can tell me this and some few more features of the DCH++...

WE ARE ALL WAITING FOR IT!!! DC++ is the best DC client so I hope DCH++ to be the best DC HUB software!

Good Luck for the rest of development process... but be quickest as possible! :wink:

Waiting for an answer...

--=[:: Varetas ::]==--
ptfastnet.no-ip.com (just for portuguese ppl) :P ... :oops:

yakko

Post by yakko » 2003-11-14 11:29

LUA scripting plugin is available. I believe that ptotax scripts work with some modifications, but the scripts available for DCH++ do everything I've needed to do.
DCH++ is console only, can run as a Windows service (NT/2K/XP only) and runs in Linux.
Sedulus's plugins rock, especially for op uses. This is gonna be a nice hub program when it's final.

alvaroduarte

Download of Beta Test

Post by alvaroduarte » 2003-11-14 13:34

Hi.

Where can I download the beta test??

I want to test it in my hub... it would be great to have the dch++ before all of the other hubs!

If it supports language pack I can translate to portuguese.

Send it to me please....

Does anyone know if it has the multihub feature???

Thanks a Lot...
-=[:: Varetas ::]=-

yakko

Post by yakko » 2003-11-14 14:04

as is posted elsewhere in this forum it's a private beta and I don't think arne's accepting new hubs.
I don't think it has multi-hub capabilities but I'm not sure.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2003-11-14 15:13

So it's just to have patience and wait until the releas come.

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2003-11-14 18:47

Here is the 'feature list' from the DCH++ Readme:
DCH++ is a high-performance hub for the Direct Connect network. The main features are (in comparison with Neo-Modus hub):

* More difficult to use
This is not a good hub to start your hub career with as it has no friendly user interface.
* Low CPU and memory usage
Being written in C++ and carefully profiled, performance is kept at a maximum for the feature set present. To
further enhance the performance, there is no user interface. The application is meant to run as a service, but
can also be run from the console.
* Low bandwidth usage
Using various optimizations, DCH++ uses a lot less bandwidth than NMDCHub. As an example, the full list of nicks
is not sent to the user until he's been fully validated and checked, neither is the notification that a user
has arrived.
* Convenient for the users
Doesn't sent a lot of worthless information to the users such as kick messages and join/part messages for users
that are kicked during the login phase (for instance, because they don't share enough).
* More hack proof
Because it's actually being developed, any hacks that come to the authors knowledge are fixed.
* No scripts
Instead of scripts, DCH++ uses compiled C++ plugins to maximize performance (scripts are dreadfully slow and
memory-consuming). This has the disadvantage that there's no simple way for non-programmers to add features.
There is of course the possibility of writing a script plugin, that would enable scripting for DCH++,
and if you feel like helping out, this is a good place to try. Packed and developed together with DCH++ is
for example a LUA plugin that runs LUA scripts (www.lua.org).
* Different userlevels
Each user that is allowed into the hub is assigned a level that is used to determine things such as min share
and if the user is an op. This can also be to create superusers that can not be kicked, or VIP accounts that
don't need to share. The number of levels is unlimited, as opposed to the normal 2-4 level systems hubs employ.
* Configurable
There are a lot of tasty details in the settings file for the competent hub owner to change.
* Multiple hub-lists
You can make the hub register to an arbitrary number of hub lists.
* No "Hub is full" message for op's and vips
Each userlevel can be set to ignore the max users limit.
* Basic flood protection
Flood protection is present for any costly operation (search, chat, myinfo update).
* Ban time shown to user
When a user is (temp)banned, a "time left" message is sent to him to spare the owner of stupid questions.
* Nick and description length checks
Avoid long nicks and descriptions to decrease bandwidth usage and get rid of idiots.
* Internationalization
You can load different language files to be used when communicating with the users.

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » 2003-11-15 18:02

look forward to writing plugins for it :D . . and hope cross my fingures the one i allready wrote will work with it

MMN-o

Post by MMN-o » 2004-10-12 06:58

Would it be possible to add Perl scripting support without too much hazzle? I personally think Perl's superior to Lua, and it's worked well so far in opendchub.

Patiently waiting for an opportunity to try DCH++. Got 3 hubs that run opendchub. And opendchub is kind of dead.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-12 11:17

MMN-o wrote:Would it be possible to add Perl scripting support without too much hazzle?
The Lua support is provided via a plugin. You can code the C++ plugin for Perl support if you wish, once the API is published.

KatanaTam

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-17 09:42

user Database to remember register user info, or user info reader can write with a plugin, that can support text format, database (MySQL is a good choice), ODBC support is also good.

seeing the PvPGN project, then can config the server run on text mode, or mysql mode.

with the database support, anyother can write a PHP or some other Web Based register page.

I suggest the user password use the MD5 hash, MD5 was build in PHP, and also can support by ASP/JSP. and C++ Code can get anywhere.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 11:08

KatanaTam wrote:I suggest the user password use the MD5 hash
And how do you hope to accomplish this while not breaking backwards compatibility? Or are you suggesting the local password storage format? You're a bit ambiguous. :-P

Carraya

Post by Carraya » 2004-10-22 07:26

GargoyleMT wrote:
KatanaTam wrote:I suggest the user password use the MD5 hash
And how do you hope to accomplish this while not breaking backwards compatibility? Or are you suggesting the local password storage format? You're a bit ambiguous. :-P
MD5 support is not too hard to implement, really it isn't... And MD5 was as far as I remember originaly written in ASP but who cares... :)
<random funny comment>

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-22 08:36

GargoyleMT wrote:And how do you hope to accomplish this while not breaking backwards compatibility?
Enligthen us.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-22 21:00

Well, it already needs the Tiger hash algorithm for ADC passwords, what's wrong with using that for everything? Tiger is better than MD5 anyway....

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-24 16:28

Carraya wrote:And MD5 was as far as I remember originaly written in ASP
Highly (MD5 - 1992) unlikely (IIS 3.0 Beta annoucement [including ASP] October 1996).
Carraya wrote:but who cares
I care that people get their facts straight. :-P

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-10-25 02:54

Ignoring the odd ignorance about MD5's genesis, it would be nice to support, to interface with forum software. (phpBB and Invision Board, at least), not in lieu but in addition to Tiger. This holds even more true if arne doesn't release source (I'm not entirely clear on that last point).

Granted, I've not seen the plugin documentation. If they can override the password format, I see no reason for the core to implement what's essentially a forum-compatibility feature (no other hubs commonly use it; verlihub does, but only as of a few months ago, and it's not, I think, the default).

Edit: Todi/Gargoyle's enlightenment: store in addition to the password, a password type field. XML's great at backwards-compatible extensibility.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-25 11:04

That makes sense, it's slightly better than guessing based on the length of the password hash, which would be a relatively viable way of doing it, all else failing.

I haven't seen the plugin API, so I don't know if it's possible either.