DCH++ on Debian

DCH++ has been abandoned, this forum serves mainly as an archive

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom

DCH++ on Debian

Post by Phantom » 2005-10-10 02:36

After helping a mate get DCH++ working on his debian (stable 2.4 kernel) I thought I might post some information here about how we got it working.

Firstly make sure you get all the required packages. gcc most likely needs to be more up to date than apt-get will let you get under stable.

Now, once bootstrapped and configured, when running make we got the following errors:

/usr/include/asm/system.h:247: error: expected ',' or '...' before 'new'
/usr/include/asm/system.h: In function 'long unsigned int __cmpxchg(volatile void*, long unsigned int, long unsigned int)':
/usr/include/asm/system.h:250: error: 'size' was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/asm/system.h:254: error: expected type-specifier before ')' token
/usr/include/asm/system.h:260: error: expected type-specifier before ')' token
/usr/include/asm/system.h:266: error: expected type-specifier before ')' token
/usr/include/asm/processor.h: In function 'void load_esp0(tss_struct*, thread_struct*)':
/usr/include/asm/processor.h:486: error: 'unlikely' was not declared in this scope

After many hours of googling we figured out that the kernel headers that came with debian were different to those available when downloading the 2.4 kernel.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... 31.tar.bz2
We backed up the old files (system.h and processor.h) and replaced them with the ones out of that downloaded kernel and it all went sweet. Haven't looked into it to see what the cause of the problem is, or what consequences there are from changing these files, but the box we installed it on was only going to be running the hub and a basic webserver anyway.

Hope this helps someone if they don't know whats wrong.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-10 03:20

I will check it out on Ubuntu/2.6.11 (that's based on sid, though).
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

yakko

Post by yakko » 2005-10-10 09:04

I ran it on Debian Unstable for a while with no problems. I think Sedulus has an init script on the dch++ site for debian if you're looking for one.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » 2005-10-10 22:42

Unstable is fine I think because it has a newer kernel and you have the most up to date packages.
I think this problem only occurs with the 2.4 kernel.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-11 05:04

Will test it, Ubuntu 5.04 has 2.6.11.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)