How on Earth do I go about compiling under Red Hat 9?

DCH++ has been abandoned, this forum serves mainly as an archive

Moderator: Moderators

Scaredy_Retard

How on Earth do I go about compiling under Red Hat 9?

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-08 18:15

Hello,

I am desperately trying to move the small DC hub that I'm running on my server, which is using Red Hat 9, from using Open DC Hub 0.7.14 to DCH++ because Open DC Hub is so full of memory leaks that it crashes my server at least once every week or so. Considering I run numerous websites from my server and they all go down until I file a reboot request with my hosting company when it crashes, this is unacceptable.

However, I'm still a bit of a Linux newbie. I'm not completely lost at the terminal like I used to be, but I look at the instructions for how to install DCH++ and I'm completely lost, for I've never had to do anything this involved before. Subversion? Downloading source code? Where's my .tar.gz2 file? :(

So if it's not too much to ask, could I please get some assistance with installing DCH++? I really want to show Open DC Hub the door, but until I get some help, I'm lost. Thanks.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2005-10-08 19:27

You just need to install subversion, follow the source download example, and then cd to that directory. Then, you'll need to ./bootstrap (although, in theory, autoreconf might work too and is more standard), which will create the configure script. Then it's just the standard ./configure && make && sudo make install.

EDIT: Of course, I think DCH++ requires GCC 3.4 or later, something Red Hat 9 is not likely to have. I also don't think you'll find an RPM. And the last time I tried to compile GCC by myself on a Red Hat 9 box, it didn't work too well. I had to manually copy libc and libstdc++ files into library directories for c++ programs to run.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2005-10-09 06:24

What distros does DCH++ compile under? What is the one running dcdev for example? :)
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

Scaredy_Retard

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-09 20:06

Well, it looks like Open DC Hub crashed my server after a scant two days of uptime. Thanks, Open DC Hub!

First thing's first; how do I upgrade GCC on my Red Hat 9 server? I remember checking its version a few days ago while the server was still operational and it was only, uhhh, 3.2.2, I think.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2005-10-09 20:53

An RPM would be easiest I suppose. Does redhat 9 != fedora? Google showed at least one rpm for gcc 3.4 on fedora.

yakko

Post by yakko » 2005-10-09 21:14

RH9 < Fedora. RH9 is older and now Fedora is the desktop version of Red Hat, the server version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Scaredy_Retard

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-09 21:49

yakko wrote:RH9 < Fedora. RH9 is older and now Fedora is the desktop version of Red Hat, the server version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux
That much is true. I have a VMWare Virtual Machine of Fedora Core 4 that I monkey around with from time to time on my Windows XP workstation. And as far as Red Hat Enterprise, they charge money for it, and if I was going to pay money for my server's OS, I would migrate to Windows 2003 Server and be done with it. :D

And as far as making an RPM that works for Red Hat 9, I have no clue.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2005-10-09 23:08

Maybe just downloading GCC 3.4 (or 4.0.2 as it's the latest) and installing it manually would be the best way to go. I did it on my gentoo box without too much trouble. The gentoo forum helped a lot in that regard, I bet the redhat forum could do the same.

edit: re-read the thread and Pseudo noted there may be issues with installing GCC 3.4 on redhat 9.

Scaredy_Retard

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-10 00:22

Well, it turns out there was a 30-minute-long issue with one of the switches at my server's hosting facility, so Open DC Hub wasn't the cause of my woes.

However, I'm still going to do everything I can in order to replace Open DC Hub with DCH++, so I just asked an admin at said company to install GCC 4.0.2 and Subversion for me. These guys at least seem to really know what they're doing, so I'm sure I should be on my merry way soon.

Scaredy_Retard

Post by Scaredy_Retard » 2005-10-10 03:18

An admin installed Subversion for me, thus allowing me to get all the source code for DCH++ by following the examples on the official page. However, the admin said I would be billed if he had to sit down and install GCC 4.0.2 for me because it would take longer than 10 minutes, which is company policy. Can't really blame him.

However, I can barely afford my server as it is, plus knowing how to install GCC on my own would be a good learning experience. I edited the relevant .xml files as per DCH++'s instructions and I tried to ./bootstrap it, but I got the following error message:

Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `build'.
configure.ac:93: warning: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS: you should use literals
configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_HELP_STRING
If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
See the Autoconf documentation.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-10 09:05

If your distribution doesn't easily allow you to compile DCH++, you might try alternatives first. DCH++ isn't for everyone; it's okay.

In particular, your machine is extremely likely to have Python installed, so give py-dchub a go.

(Yes, I'm aware of the irony here, but it makes more sense, effort wise.)