ZPoc?

A private forum for us Super-Humans, I even trust you to be able to edit your own posts =)

Moderator: Moderators

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

ZPoc?

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-13 23:46

ZPoc seems to be, largely, a rebranding of DC++ and one of the DC hubs into a Christian music trading P2P application. It's a nifty idea. I couldn't find anything on licensing, so I'm guessing they got it relicensed under something other than the GPL?

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-14 08:14

Yes, I've seen it and I don't like it very much, but somewhere in that jungle you can find the sources and so on, so technically, I think they're abiding to the license...you're most welcome to have a closer look at it...(he actually asked in the beginning, but back then it didn't seem like such a large project...)...anyway, I'm considering changing the license anyway, to something that doesn't allow any commercial exploitation if dc++ is used, anyone know of any good ones?

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-14 09:02

You might be able to find something on this page...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-14 12:21

arnetheduck wrote:Yes, I've seen it and I don't like it very much, but somewhere in that jungle you can find the sources and so on, so technically, I think they're abiding to the license...you're most welcome to have a closer look at it...(he actually asked in the beginning, but back then it didn't seem like such a large project...)
Thanks, I'll take a deeper look. It doesn't look too special, but they have implemented a feature to include the mp3-bitrate and track length in the share list.
arnetheduck wrote:...anyway, I'm considering changing the license anyway, to something that doesn't allow any commercial exploitation if dc++ is used, anyone know of any good ones?
That sounds pretty good. Did all the contributors sign over the copyright to their patch/graphics/etc to you? I believe that's the only hassle with relicensing.

Zc

Post by Zc » 2003-02-14 12:45

GargoyleMT wrote:Thanks, I'll take a deeper look. It doesn't look too special, but they have implemented a feature to include the mp3-bitrate and track length in the share list.
I worked a little for them, and I implemented this functionnality ... but it's not very well implemented (my skills in C++ sucks a lot!)
bitrate and track length are calculated when you add a shared folder and are stored with file name (| is separator) (they wanted only this informations ... =))
But I think a more general metadata informations will be much better (as said in lot of threads)

Regarding license, I have asked a lot for just have sources of they server (it's based on odch vb version) ... but I never have it ...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-19 20:34

Zc wrote:I worked a little for them, and I implemented this functionnality ... but it's not very well implemented (my skills in C++ sucks a lot!)
bitrate and track length are calculated when you add a shared folder and are stored with file name (| is separator) (they wanted only this informations ... =))
Cool. Did you handle Xing and FhG VBR files as well? I'd like, ideally, to give the a guess at the encoder (EncSpot has source, and it's based off of another package too, maybe one of those is GPL friendly), as well as whether the LAME CRC checks out, or whether the last frame of the mp3 is cut off. If people see their MP3s displayed in red, because of errors, maybe they'll stop sharing them, or become more concerned about quality encoders, etc.
Regarding license, I have asked a lot for just have sources of they server (it's based on odch vb version) ... but I never have it ...
That seems to be my experience too, so far at least. I mailed bobby_zpoc@ users.sourceforge.net on Friday... It's not an unreasonable amount of time to have gone by, without response, but... whatever.

I was curious how they did upload throttling too, to tell the truth. Well, whether they took the patch from someone else (Alyandon), since they don't mention the GPL, "license," or "source" on the google indexed portions of their site. I even signed up, which was basically a spam signup as far as I can tell, but I didn't see any "members only" downoad page.

If they don't have source anywhere, it doesn't look like a big loss feature wise, but it sure would be nice if they respected the GPL..

Zc

Post by Zc » 2003-02-20 01:33

GargoyleMT wrote:I was curious how they did upload throttling too, to tell the truth. Well, whether they took the patch from someone else (Alyandon)
Yes, it's Alyandon patch, they don't have any C++ developper in their group.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-20 11:37

Zc wrote:Yes, it's Alyandon patch, they don't have any C++ developper in their group.
Hehe, then perhaps it's a really big accomplishment after all. :)

aDe
Forum Moderator

Post by aDe » 2003-02-24 16:46

www.dcplusplus.com

Registrant:
Pocmin Web Services
416 8th Ave
Pleasant Grove, Al 35127
US

Registrar: DOTSTER
Domain Name: DCPLUSPLUS.COM
Created on: 24-FEB-02
Expires on: 25-FEB-04
Last Updated on: 05-FEB-03

Administrative Contact:
White, Robert [email protected]
Pocmin Web Services
416 8th Ave
Pleasant Grove, Al 35127
US
205-744-5667

the owner: this is actually the same guy who started the ZPoc stuff, whats up with this?

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-25 06:04

He owns the address and asked some long time ago if I wanted it in exchange for him using dc++ to make a small christian music community...sure thing, thought I, but now it's gone way over bounds and I'm considering doing something about it, only I don't have time to spend on this kind of things...could anyone download this stuff and check what's inside? Referals to dc++, credits where credits are due and so on?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-25 08:27

arnetheduck wrote:He owns the address and asked some long time ago if I wanted it in exchange for him using dc++ to make a small christian music community...sure thing, thought I, but now it's gone way over bounds and I'm considering doing something about it, only I don't have time to spend on this kind of things...could anyone download this stuff and check what's inside? Referals to dc++, credits where credits are due and so on?
You're mentioned here: http://zpoc.com/help/src/about.html

The about box reads as follows:

"ZPoC v1.13b
(c) Copright 2001-2002
Bobby White Joel Benscoter

Greetz
Thanks go out to our Lord Jesus Christ, for giving us a reason to live, Jacek Sieka, for allowing us to modify this great piece of work, thanks to Joel Matt and to all of the ops.
Thank you For Using ZPoC, please read the Disclaimer.

If you need help, click Help -> Newbie Help."
(below that is the standard Totals Upload / Download, Ratio information)

In the previous version (1.01b), you were Jacek Sieks.

I don't see mention of the GPL anywhere on their site, nor a mention of license on their Souceforge site. -> http://sf.net/projects/pocmin/

www.pocmin.com is down (suspended) right now:
"This web hosting account has been suspended until action will be taken from the website owner.
This website is hosted by Feature Price Web Hosting.

If you are the owner of this website, please contact the Feature Price billing department at [email protected]."

So it's quite likely that my earlier message didn't get to Bobby/Robert... since the users.sourceforge.net probably just fowards to an account @pocmin.com. I'll politely ask the two other listed accounts in the sourceforge project about the terms of the ZPoC license.

They don't seem to misrepresent the work as their own, if you look in the normal places to figure out about it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-25 19:38

I got a reply back from Bobby. He says, in summary (since I didn't ask for permission to post the text): he is reluctant to release the full source, because the bitrate mod was made by someone else (Zc?), ZPoc isn't compatible with normal DC servers, and also because of the purpose of the program (I suppose because he doesn't want hacked clients on his network). He said he's going to upload the code with some of the changes, but not the bitrate gathering, to sourceforge.

yilard

Post by yilard » 2003-02-25 20:38

GargoyleMT wrote:He said he's going to upload the code with some of the changes, but not the bitrate gathering, to sourceforge.
IMHO, I think this is okay in case the have got source code from author under separate license (I think this should be at least written permission). If they got it under GPL, it is illegal.
In the age of super-boredom/hype and mediocrity/celebrate relentlessness/menace to society --KMFDM

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-25 20:57

yilard wrote:IMHO, I think this is okay in case the have got source code from author under separate license (I think this should be at least written permission). If they got it under GPL, it is illegal.
Truedat. But there comes in my question about whose throttling code they used. :-) You'd have to check with Alyandon to see what license he released his source under, but even if they licensed the code originally from Arne under something other than the GPL, then there is still the issue of incorporating patches by 3rd parties that were GPLed, unless they also got special licensing dispensation.

I just want things that were released under the GPL to remain under the GPL, and to not see someone taking advantage of someone else's goodwill in releasing source. I don't think either of the two are really valid complaints against ZPoc, from the feedback I've gotten so far.

aDe
Forum Moderator

Post by aDe » 2003-02-26 03:26

GargoyleMT wrote:The about box reads as follows:

"ZPoC v1.13b
(c) Copright 2001-2002
Bobby White Joel Benscoter
Just for the record - Joel Benscoter used to be a moderator on this forum (when it was on the lichlord server) under the nickname 'techsmarty'..