Ok...time to start adding people...

A private forum for us Super-Humans, I even trust you to be able to edit your own posts =)

Moderator: Moderators

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Ok...time to start adding people...

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-06 09:18

Hm, this group has been here since the board started, i just haven't gotten around to actually add people...suggestions? I want people with brains...

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-02-06 12:12

methinks sarf qualifies, and sandos
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

aDe
Forum Moderator

Post by aDe » 2003-02-06 13:57

zc, mo2, ender, gadget, yilard, gumboot, nev

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-06 14:27

I've been here for some time now apparently :)

Anyway, who should be recommended? People who could work on DC++ (count me out in this case, I know almost nothing of C++), or anybody who does somethnig beneficial for the DC network?

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-10 07:33

Hm, well...people with technical knowledge that do something to make dc++ better? Basically, if somebody does writes good posts for a while (s)he's qualified...

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-02-10 08:09

What is it that is to be discussed here? Improvements for DC++? Great changes of the source code? Nasty discussions about modified clients (hehe)? The colour of the forums? The bathing habits of volkris, nonexistant or not (j/k) ?

Sarf
---
"Hackers make toys. Crackers break them." -- Peter Seebach

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-12 13:01

sarf wrote:What is it that is to be discussed here? Improvements for DC++? Great changes of the source code? Nasty discussions about modified clients (hehe)? The colour of the forums? The bathing habits of volkris, nonexistant or not (j/k) ?
Oh, I'm not sure...=)...great changes is one good thing, as well as changes that might annoy people...I dunno, but I have it just in case...well, and I probably put more weigh on a post in here than in...for example...the help forum...

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-02-12 16:51

arnetheduck wrote:great changes is one good thing, as well as changes that might annoy people...I dunno, but I have it just in case...well, and I probably put more weight on a post in here than in...for example...the help forum...
Hmmm... Do you have any great changes planned? Implementing hashing of some sort? Using DC++ to secretly take over the world, starting with Iraq and onwards? New, on-the-fly compression schemes? The use of idle CPU-time to try to evolve an AI using genetic algorithms?

Irrationally yours,
Sarf
---
I believe that everyone is entitled to my opinion.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-02-13 06:57

improving search is important to lower the cpu use of dc++ as hubs grows... thats to most interesting thing for me atleast.. ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-13 12:39

arnetheduck wrote:Oh, I'm not sure...=)...great changes is one good thing, as well as changes that might annoy people...I dunno, but I have it just in case...well, and I probably put more weigh on a post in here than in...for example...the help forum...
Well, an interesting topic, for me at least, is the divergent code base of DC++... It seems there are some nice features in various clients that aren't particularly controversial that would be nice if put back into the main client. (limited client-side chat colorizing [CZDC++], username tab completion [multiples]). I realize this is could be thankless work, and if the mod authors really wanted the mods to go back, they'd have sent you a patch.... Or something. :?

Also, the sourceforge bug reports and feature requests seem pretty decent source of feedback. (especially with iceman's tending) It'd be nice to see the bug one empty (of valid bugs).

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-14 08:18

Well, an interesting topic, for me at least, is the divergent code base of DC++... It seems there are some nice features in various clients that aren't particularly controversial that would be nice if put back into the main client. (limited client-side chat colorizing [CZDC++], username tab completion [multiples]). I realize this is could be thankless work, and if the mod authors really wanted the mods to go back, they'd have sent you a patch.... Or something. :?
Well, I'm not going to hunt a hundred modified ++'s, if they want a feature in the main release, they'll have to send a nicely done patch...I suspect this is a problem for many of these releases, as their code probably is an ugly hack to make it work...anyway, I add a populist feature every now and then to put off the competion for a while...=), but I'm more interested in deep-going changes...
Also, the sourceforge bug reports and feature requests seem pretty decent source of feedback. (especially with iceman's tending) It'd be nice to see the bug one empty (of valid bugs).
Your nearest hub is sure to have a copy of a c++ IDE =) And I think iceman needs some help, it's a one against many battle to keep it clean...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-14 12:30

arnetheduck wrote:Well, I'm not going to hunt a hundred modified ++'s, if they want a feature in the main release, they'll have to send a nicely done patch...I suspect this is a problem for many of these releases, as their code probably is an ugly hack to make it work...anyway, I add a populist feature every now and then to put off the competion for a while...=), but I'm more interested in deep-going changes...
Well, if you don't mind, I'll see about borging some of those features off and submitting them to you.
arnetheduck wrote:Your nearest hub is sure to have a copy of a c++ IDE =) And I think iceman needs some help, it's a one against many battle to keep it clean...
Truedat. MS Visual C++ Standard is only $93 from buy.com... The only drawback is the non-optimizing compiler. The cheapest I've been able to find a real copy of MS Visual Studio .NET is $799 from codeproject.... OUCH. And I see posts that Visual Studio .NET 2003 is coming out in just a couple of months... :evil: Oh yeah, I suppose those prices/sites aren't too useful, since this is an international group of coders.

If Iceman doesn't mind someone else helping out with the bug/feature forum, I'd be happy to help out. At least by attaching small patches and closing the bugs out. :-)

- Todd

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-14 15:21

You can get most of M$'s programs for free here if you're a student (Win2k/xp pro, server, adv. server, VS 6 & .NET enterprise, office...) worth checking out.

arnetheduck
The Creator Himself

Post by arnetheduck » 2003-02-17 09:27

ender wrote:You can get most of M$'s programs for free here if you're a student (Win2k/xp pro, server, adv. server, VS 6 & .NET enterprise, office...) worth checking out.
here?

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-17 09:57

In Slovenia... not too far from Italy :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Ok...time to start adding people...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-19 20:04

arnetheduck wrote:Hm, this group has been here since the board started, i just haven't gotten around to actually add people...suggestions? I want people with brains...
Hmm, how about Volkris?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Ok...time to start adding people...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-26 17:26

arnetheduck wrote:Hm, this group has been here since the board started, i just haven't gotten around to actually add people...suggestions? I want people with brains...
(Since edits don't update the thread time)

Now that Opera has shown up, what about him/her? ZPoc? Cologic? Phantom?

I'm basically naming people who've shown programming abilities, I'm not considering other things.