Crash collector

A private forum for us Super-Humans, I even trust you to be able to edit your own posts =)

Moderator: Moderators

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Crash collector

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-10 09:36

I've more or less finished work on the crash collector. The interface to view the crashes is here: http://dcpp.net/crash/stats.php

Arne had a couple suggestions for its improvement, I'd welcome more.

I think this would be useful for potential contributors; see common DC++ crashes and submit patches to fix them.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2005-12-10 15:31

Wow. It gets nicer each time I look at it. I like the paging of results :)

Something that might be useful would be a cause and/or fix/workaround attached to the crash types. eg. Crash Type 9 might have the reason for the crash and instructions for using 0.4032. Similar thing for Crash Type 404 pointing to vlsp.dll as the culprit.

I guess the usefulness of such information will all depend on who the stats are aimed at.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-11 08:56

There are a lot of 3rd party DLLs that are seen in crashes, I was thinking about having a regexp match before entering a new call stack. The regexp could be a full stop or emit a warning, based on "severity."

a partial list I've scribbled down is this:
Vslp (V-One Smartpass)
mclsp (McAfee AV)
Niphk (Norman AV)
aslsp (Aventail Corporation VPN)
AXShlEx (alcohol 100%)
gdlsphlr (MCafee)
mlang (IE)
cslsp (McAfee)
winsflt (PureSight Internet Content Filter)
dnsapi
imslsp (ZoneLabs IM Secure)
apitrap (Norton Cleansweep [?])
msafd
sockspy (BitDefender Antivirus)
imon (Eset NOD32)
KvWspXp(_1) (Kingsoft Antivirus)
nl_lsp (Netlimiter)
OSMIM (Marketscore Internet Accelerator)
opls (Opinion Square [malware])
PavTrc (Panda Anti-Virus)
pavlsp (Panda Anti-Virus)
AppToPort (Wyvern Works Firewall)
SpyDll (Nice Spy [malware])
WBlind (Window Blinds)
UPS10 (Uniscribe Unicode Script Processor Library)
SOCKS32 (Sockscap [?])
xvid
___j (Worm: W32.Maslan.C@mm)
A couple of those are pieces of spyware, and a couple are viruses. A couple people even have a few DLLs in there - normally double Antivirus programs.

I'd guess that a lot of those aren't actually faults in the DC++ code, but probably badly-written email interception and scanning routines, or something similar. It'd be nice to be able to handle them gracefully.

And yes, there's a "resolution_id" that I also hope to use for each crash type. 0.4032 doesn't really solve ID 9, but is probably as close as we're going to get for now.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-12 23:45

Er... sidenote, anyone who wants svn access to the repository I'm using for the crash code can have it. I do want peer review, since that's part of what Vinnia's solution lacked.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-12-13 08:40

Just wanted to say: Nice work Garg, thanks!
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2005-12-13 08:42

Me please. (need to go and install an svn client ...)

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-13 08:53

Guitarm wrote:Just wanted to say: Nice work Garg, thanks!
Thanks... or you're welcome :)
TheParanoidOne wrote:Me please. (need to go and install an svn client ...)
Will do. :)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2005-12-13 09:11

GargoyleMT wrote:
TheParanoidOne wrote:Me please. (need to go and install an svn client ...)
Will do. :)
Thanks.

DC++ Guide | Words

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-01-26 09:46

How about having more filter options. :?:
Like as well as filtering by Version, also have a Operating System filter, which can be used seperately or in conjunction, with the Version one. :)
And maybe also a file / function filter, e.g.
Crashes which use connectionmanager.cpp or HubFrame::onSpeaker

Also a question on the crash reports.
Below are a maximum of five (5) unique sets of variables for the above call stack. Use them to establish a pattern.
Just wondering what to look for / how to use this numbers ? (Is this a way of trying to show you how to repoduce the crash ?)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-26 12:04

Pothead wrote:Like as well as filtering by Version, also have a Operating System filter, which can be used seperately or in conjunction, with the Version one. :)
You can't filter by OS and still sort by the number of crashes. Well, not easily, they're in two different tables because it's possible to have the same crash stack on multiple OSes.
Pothead wrote:And maybe also a file / function filter, e.g.
Crashes which use connectionmanager.cpp or HubFrame::onSpeaker
Could be done, eventually.
Pothead wrote:Just wondering what to look for / how to use this numbers ? (Is this a way of trying to show you how to repoduce the crash ?)
They're memory addresses, so if there's a pattern in them, it might help. It may not, but you can easily see if the crash is due to something having a null pointer...

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-07-16 09:53

GargoyleMT wrote:a partial list I've scribbled down is this:
Vslp (V-One Smartpass)
mclsp (McAfee AV)
Niphk (Norman AV)
aslsp (Aventail Corporation VPN)
AXShlEx (alcohol 100%)
gdlsphlr (MCafee)
mlang (IE)
cslsp (McAfee)
winsflt (PureSight Internet Content Filter)
dnsapi
imslsp (ZoneLabs IM Secure)
apitrap (Norton Cleansweep [?])
msafd
sockspy (BitDefender Antivirus)
imon (Eset NOD32)
KvWspXp(_1) (Kingsoft Antivirus)
nl_lsp (Netlimiter)
OSMIM (Marketscore Internet Accelerator)
opls (Opinion Square [malware])
PavTrc (Panda Anti-Virus)
pavlsp (Panda Anti-Virus)
AppToPort (Wyvern Works Firewall)
SpyDll (Nice Spy [malware])
WBlind (Window Blinds)
UPS10 (Uniscribe Unicode Script Processor Library)
SOCKS32 (Sockscap [?])
xvid
___j (Worm: W32.Maslan.C@mm)
A couple of those are pieces of spyware, and a couple are viruses. A couple people even have a few DLLs in there - normally double Antivirus programs.
How about making DC++ recognise them, and instead of the "upload crash report" thingy, just inform the user that they are using buggy software and xx caused the crash.

Also, while on the subject of the crash reports / collector, a how about a link on the homepage to http://dcpp.net/crash/stats.php :)

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 2006-07-16 09:59

just like in my StrongDC++.. I can make a patch if someone wants..

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-07-16 10:06

some legal reasons perhaps. You have to very carefull how you formulate such message. This should not be taken lightly.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-07-16 10:16

Pothead wrote:How about making DC++ recognise them, and instead of the "upload crash report" thingy, just inform the user that they are using buggy software and xx caused the crash.

Also, while on the subject of the crash reports / collector, a how about a link on the homepage to http://dcpp.net/crash/stats.php :)
No, no link on the homepage for the stats. I've tried to avoid mentioning it where it might be spidered (I hope). Everyone who might need to know it should have it.

Trem had a patch, I believe, for the 3rd party DLLs. I am applying patches today, but I can't find that one. Trem, do you still have it handy?

We can't easily say that all 3rd party DLLs are responsible for the crash, but at the same time, we're not going to try to fix them, so... I'm not sure exactly how I'll handle it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-07-16 10:17

Big Muscle wrote:just like in my StrongDC++.. I can make a patch if someone wants..
Hmm? What part are you referring to? A patch in the exception handler that flags 3rd party DLLs before you even generate a crash log?

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 2006-07-16 11:11

GargoyleMT wrote:
Big Muscle wrote:just like in my StrongDC++.. I can make a patch if someone wants..
Hmm? What part are you referring to? A patch in the exception handler that flags 3rd party DLLs before you even generate a crash log?
yes... it just displays a message box "Application XXX caused crash in DC++..." instead of "DC++ has crashed"