dDC++ 6.02 released

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Framed

dDC++ 6.02 released

Post by Framed » 2004-04-20 19:14

We have recently released dDC++ 6.02.
Its sourceforge project website is here.
It´s based on dc++ 0.401 but it does not currently have any added features. The only difference right now is that we have removed the IP column both from the transfer window and search window.

Framed

Post by Framed » 2004-04-20 19:18

I forgot to say that we do plan to add the features we think should be in a dc client for users and that we plan to make a separated op client with features specific for ops.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-20 19:26

It's quite easy to get patches into DC++ if division isn't your intent.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-04-20 21:10

It would be nice if they just submitted new features as patches to arne, but judging by the fact the first and only thing they did was remove the ip columns maybe a split is neccesary as I'm guessing they aren't happy with the column there. Obviously arne wouldn't accept the ip column dissapearing, and they want it gone (although I feel its pointless due to the fact that if someone wants it they just wont use the mod) anyway my pointless rant is finsihed.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-04-20 23:44

I'll patch dDC++ and add what they removed.. oops.. i didn't have to.. it became DC++. ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Qbert

Post by Qbert » 2004-04-21 02:30

Framed wrote:We have recently released dDC++ 6.02.
So why the jump to version 6? Where did version 1 go?
I hope people won't be tempted to download this thinking that it’s a couple of magnitudes better. They can download it for other reasons of course, but the huge discrepancy in the versioning is an issue.
Twink wrote:(although I feel its pointless due to the fact that if someone wants [the IP column] they just wont use the mod)
First off I completely agree with you; but maybe in the future some lone hub will decide to enforce only this mod. I might almost expect that hub to also use an entirely different application protocol that tries to go around our expectation of the standard TCP/IP networking layer. I can't even make that sound feasible. It was just for my laughter.
My Visual Studio .NET 2003 is licensed under my name, and the same for my operating system... What about you?
I surf on an OC3 without limitations, two to be exact, and I'm not joking.

Framed

Post by Framed » 2004-04-21 04:43

Twink wrote:It would be nice if they just submitted new features as patches to arne, but judging by the fact the first and only thing they did was remove the ip columns maybe a split is neccesary as I'm guessing they aren't happy with the column there. Obviously arne wouldn't accept the ip column dissapearing, and they want it gone (although I feel its pointless due to the fact that if someone wants it they just wont use the mod) anyway my pointless rant is finsihed.
Thats exactly why we did not send in a patch. We do not expect arne will remove the ip columns so we did it. I´m not going to argue with you the reasons for it, if you want them then you can just look at my other posts.
Qbert wrote:So why the jump to version 6? Where did version 1 go?
That was a decision made by our programmer which I actually don´t know the reason for.
Qbert wrote:
Twink wrote:(although I feel its pointless due to the fact that if someone wants [the IP column] they just wont use the mod)
First off I completely agree with you; but maybe in the future some lone hub will decide to enforce only this mod.
Its very simple, as you would know had you read my other posts, the hub where I am an op has banned all versions of dc++ and other clients that show ip addresses in the client, at least for regular users. We did not want to deny our users the ability to use the newest version of dc++ so we modded it. However as I have already said we do plan to add some real features to this mod in due time. (Actually as soon as we have time. I have already submitted a feature request to the world council asking them to change the day to 36 hours instead of 24 hours :))

Edit: fixed your quotes and deleted the extra post.. /Todi

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-04-21 09:02

Personally I wonder how one is to ban your mod with the IP column added back in (I know at present its basically dc++ but in the future) I mean its such a simple patch and its undetectable.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-04-21 11:10

And i will happily support such clients which does this, i.e. only add this simple feature. Security by obscurity is one of the stupidest thing you can create. To deside what other are allowed to have visible or not is also a very narrowed mind. There is use for the IP-column. After a while you will notice which ip-series you have fast connection towards and favor them in your download-choice. This is atleast why i added this a long time ago...

by-not-showing-ip-you-open-up-yourself-for-possibilities-of-abuse-ly'ers-
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-04-22 23:10

Hex

Post by Hex » 2004-07-23 21:46

Oh.... come on!!!!
Look even with your mod i can grab TCPView and see all your IP's if i want....
So your mod is totally useless with a bit of intelligence IMHO !! :D

But you are aiming to stop the noobs, aren't you?

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-07-23 23:21

No, more the incredibly, incredibly stupid hub owners. The ones who spend all their time looking for the left-handed monkey wrench.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-24 05:03

I'm still interested in the bit of psychology that triggered the jump to version 6. Is there yet a reason for that other than the fallacy of "Higher version == better version"? This highlights/reinforces what I was saying the other day in the DCDev hub - version numbers are irrelevant.

What I find funny is the .02. Did they have to go through two iterations of the IP removal patch before they got it right? :D
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words