clone's superior DC++ Stats Generator

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

clone

clone's superior DC++ Stats Generator

Post by clone » 2003-01-31 20:37

I have made a DC++ (and its variants) stats generator. You can check it out here.

http://www.netspace.net.au/~clone/dcstatsgen.html

Any comments welcome, (eg. feature requests, bugs, how crap it is, etc.)

[email protected]

Hizpaz

Post by Hizpaz » 2003-02-01 05:25

To bad, i only get "RunTime Error `7`".
Out of memory????

clone

Post by clone » 2003-02-01 06:25

How big are you uploads.log and downloads.log? I have succesfully tested it with logs 7meg in size.

The most likely cause is junk lines in the log files. I havent seen them myself but other people have told me this sometimes happens to the log files.

If you do have any junk lines can you paste them here so i can see what they look like.

clone

clone

Post by clone » 2003-02-01 06:27

Hmm, it seems some computers just get this wierd runtime 7 error. Not sure why, how much ram do you have?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: clone's superior DC++ Stats Generator

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-02 22:42

clone wrote:I have made a DC++ (and its variants) stats generator. You can check it out here.

http://www.netspace.net.au/~clone/dcstatsgen.html

Any comments welcome, (eg. feature requests, bugs, how crap it is, etc.)

[email protected]
Are you pulling the log file directory and the log format out of the XML file? If you say to install it to your DC++ directory, those would be two nice features.

Is the elapsed times for uploading are a nice frill, but it's not too meaningful, unless someone only had one slot open at a time. But I could see how trying to get wall time out of the uploads log would be a complicated problem. But if you did it, you could figure out average total speeds per time of day or something, with a nice graph. (Someone'd appreciate looking at it.)

Have you thought about exporting aggregate stats in a CSV format, per nick? It might be useful as a starting point for playing around with up/download karma.

clone

Post by clone » 2003-02-04 07:46

I didnt even realise that the config.xml had those settings, it would still require clicking a box to find dc++ in the first place. You would also have to convince me that lots of people change the way the ul/dl stats are placed into the logs, to get that information from config.xml.

I thought it was only possible to have one connection per user, as happens on my local hub (and everywhere else?), so the elapsed time is correct per user. As for total elapsed time you are correct in that it has the theoretical time as it does not compensate for concurrent users.

You are right that it would be very time consuming to figure out the correct speeds at particular times of day and so forth. I think this would require migrating to a database, as it would much easier to get these sorts of stats out. I too like many graphs of useless things.

Putting the full list of users stats in a CVS format (which I believe to be a comma delimited format i.e. a, b, c, d) would be quite easy to implement. You can already sort of do this by copying the full user list by selecting the entire contents of the user list table then right-click copy and paste it into excel or notepad (formatting isnt to good though).

clone

Madras

cool!

Post by Madras » 2003-06-10 16:41

the first stats generator that actually works with me system :) thanks and praizes!!! graphical stuff would indeed be goodness ;)
<-- Make More Gargoyles -->

obdob

Post by obdob » 2003-06-15 11:18

I get "runtime 5: invalid procedure call or invalid argument" when I try to specify the log directory. Then the program crashes.

I'd recommend to add some command line mode. I don't see the need for a graphical user interface when creating stats. Every time you want to look something up they have to be created again. Not so good for large log files. Besides, it's tedious to have to specify the logs directory every time you call the program.

Sorry, 'superior' or not, I still like my own program better: http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.g ... stats.html