Your Router Woes Solved.. with 1 simple program

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

FloggTheDogg ®

Your Router Woes Solved.. with 1 simple program

Post by FloggTheDogg ® » 2003-09-12 13:20

Hi everyone. I am writing this because I feel that this could be of great help to so many people. There is a program out called "Pure Networks - Port Magic" that allows router users to be active in dc with no router configuration. It works much in the same way Norton Internet Security does in that it monitors network traffic and allows you to "allow or deny" web access to the application asking the request. You can set it up to never ask, or have it ask each time with many variables in between. The program is a 14 day trial but can be purchased for 30 USD. I have suggested this to a friend using a Belkin f5d6230-3. Immediately after installing the program and rebooting he was able to access DC in active mode. *needless to say he was very excited after 5 months of fiddling with the router with no success* I know this sounds like an advert, but I think many of you will agree this is 1 genious program and it's about time. You can get it here HXXP//www.purenetworks.com/news/pr072903.php

replace XX with TT *no hotlinks in here* :D

Hope this helps many of you experiencing the same probelms.

FloggTheDogg®

P.S. Admin : Can you make this a sticky? thanks

[SB]SBSoftEA

Post by [SB]SBSoftEA » 2003-09-12 13:54

all you have to do is open port 412 on your router as TCP and UDP, make DC++ use them, and make sure that the address in the IP box is always the own assigned to the router by your ISP...

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-09-12 14:18

:shock: i will never buy a software to do something that would take me 10 seconds to do...
the biggess time consuming thing for me is to enter the router password :lol:
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-09-12 15:21

There is no way this program can work behind a hardware internet router.

Period.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-09-12 21:00

GargoyleMT wrote:There is no way this program can work behind a hardware internet router.

Period.
wrong, it will do it.
they access router setting, like you do a with IE (router interface is nothing more then a page server), or call a moded manufacturer setting program.
when you set a incoming port in this program, it configure your router with what is need to forwards to the puter running it.

catch --->before buying make sure your router is listed...
if the problem only needed a router reset to make it work, this program will not help, well it might tell you in troubleshothing($30 for a prog to tell you restart your router :twisted: ), it will not install new firmware if it needed, it might sugest it at some point.
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-09-13 04:59

What's the point of the extra layer of obfuscation though?

Forward a port through this program or forward a port through your browser. I see no difference, so what is the point of this app?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-09-13 06:02

TheParanoidOne wrote:What's the point of the extra layer of obfuscation though?
i see no good point neder.
perhaps to keep people buying stuff because they don't know it is simple to do it themself.
Forward a port through this program or forward a port through your browser. I see no difference, so what is the point of this app?
make $$$ :wink:
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Your Router Woes Solved.. with 1 simple program

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-09-14 13:36

Sure, TheNop, but if you have to give it your password and it'll do the configuration itself, it's not quite as advertised (and what I was reacting to)... certainly unique, and a difficult program to write, but...
FloggTheDogg ® wrote:There is a program out called "Pure Networks - Port Magic" that allows router users to be active in dc with no router configuration.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-09-14 16:44

no router configuration.
oh i see now... hehehe
sorry. GargoyleMT
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

galvanometer

Post by galvanometer » 2003-11-13 23:39

This is a bad idea, period.
A program like this can do more damage than good. I'd never let anything made by a Windows developer come near my router. Windows is too unstable. I don't want my router to end up like XP on an average week day.
And also, this program is based on the theory of "every router works the same," which is idiotic to say the least.
No matter what, it still accesses your router's config server, changes values predetermined in a "driver" for that router, and submits.
Small changes can cause huge errors. If you're THAT lazy, do what I did. Open up your computer as a DMZ and go have fun! Just get a decent firewall before doing so...

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-11-14 08:01

this program is based on the theory of "every router works the same
not quite right... the last time i check it was not for all router, unless it has change now, witch i dought.

check if your router is supported before buying. :wink:
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

quantumkaos

THIS ROCKS

Post by quantumkaos » 2004-03-19 03:17

Man even if it takes me only 10 seconds to do it or not.. That is definately a nifty litle proggy. WHO IS HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR BELKIN READ THIS.