Remote Filesync (fixing corrupted files)

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Fright-FoO

Remote Filesync (fixing corrupted files)

Post by Fright-FoO » 2003-08-18 12:18

http://remotefilesync.sourceforge.net/

It's quite good. The only thing is that it requires that the you find someone with an uncorrupted version of the file so they can make the Hash.Diff file. That's generally no problem with DC++ though because you can get a hold of people via the hub and ask if they could make a diff/hash file.

I generally use to use it with KL because it's got no ICH etc, but now I use Kazaa Corruption Fixer (KCF) for that.

Remote Filesync should work with any completed (but corrupted) file.

Hope that hasn't been posted. I did a quick search, but was unable to see a reference to it. Sorry it it's been posted before.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 19:43

It sounds similar to Zidrav, also hosted at Sourceforge.

And you wouldn't believe the number of people who seem happy that their AVIs play well, even if they fail .SFV's weak CRC-32 corrupion checking... At least, I didn't believe it.

Fright-FoO

Post by Fright-FoO » 2003-08-19 06:26

Cool, I'll try that one out too. I was like having a convo the other night and asked someone who I think was a long time user of DC++ (I'm quite new to it myself :)) if there was a version of DC++ that like had a corruption checker or hasing system (I don't quite know what I meant at the time though, lol). Ya know, like a system similar to eMule, BT etc. They didn't know what I meant by downloads becoming corrupted though, which disappointed me as they might unwittingly be spreading corrupted downloads that'll eventually get more and more corrupted as they're shared. Then I happened to visit this wonderful site and saw the threads about future plans for signature/hashing etc. It would be marvellous to have a variation of DC++ with this option for sure.

If there's any testing necessary for the future releases, I'd be glad to do some of those tests because DC++ is an excellent P2P tool I reckon.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-31 07:30

Hashes will fix this... They'll be a while coming, because only one person is working on them. And everyone wants input too. ;)