Mod list

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

ExEr

Mod list

Post by ExEr » 2003-06-25 02:20

Is there a mod list of all the DC++ clones out there and what they do? I'm getting confused as to what does what. Sticking with DC++ for now though :)

KLesK

Post by KLesK » 2003-06-25 09:17

there is several of DC++ mods out there, some good ,other bad for the dc community, just write down some clients

DC++
oDC
BCDC++
CZDC++
DC++ Stealth
DC++ Blue!
DC++k
DC++ Fenix
DC++ Brass Edition
DC++ Client Type Detection Mod
iDC++

+ many more i guess :arrow:

ExEr

Post by ExEr » 2003-06-25 11:41

yeah, and PDC++ etc...

But anyone put the time in to list the differences?

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-25 13:08

I don't think anyone has tested all of them to list the differences between them.

And there are too many of them to know them all anyway.

About dc++k you'll find infos about the differences to dc++ in the "other tools" forum.

About all the others in suggest you to google for those you are interested in.
Most modified clients (at least the most well-known ones) have a list of the features on their homepage. So you can compare there.

Good luck.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

ExEr

Post by ExEr » 2003-06-25 14:40

Any recommendations?

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-25 14:55

My recommendation is of course the original dc++ client.

I'd recommend you another one only if you need a feature that another modified client has which dc++ hasn't.
(i.e. upload speed limit in dc++k and bcdc, segment downloading in PDC++, which i DON'T recommend at all!!)

I'd suggest you to use dc++ or if you need to limit your uploads dc++k.
With both you don't get banned in most hubs, but other modified clients are very often not accepted.

But anyway, feel free to test some others too.

Enjoy! :)
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Most of My cache

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-25 20:53

Alyandon
LuDC
Phantom's DC (redirects to a .nz only host, it seems) No Source
DC@fe No Source
Who's DC++ No Source
DC++ Platinum No Source
DC++ Orange

There are some other places that have binaries of DC++, and I'm honestly not sure if they're modified (other than changing the default language):
Odysseus DC++
http://matrix-network.sytes.net/

There's more, but.. I'm just interested in those with good features, and encouraging mod authors to comply with the GPL and release source to their mods.

mythdl

PDC++

Post by mythdl » 2003-09-07 03:17

hmm, .Phantom does send you the source if you PM him but as he is in .nz only hubs that is no good for overseas users. I have asked him several times to put the source on the main page but he has not yet done it. Feel free to annoy him until he does :wink: . His email is: [email protected]

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

insert cartman phrase here

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-09 11:30

Quasi-update on the GPL Violators:
  • LuDC has source, but not in the same location (website)

FarCry's CDM has source released, there's no central website or contact point, but I think that's probably good enough

Odysseus still has no source

DC@fe is up to a new 0.263 version still without source

Stealth DC, although it's a cheat client, really should obey the GPL too.

ZPoC seemed to have source current last time I looked at it. I didn't compile it and verify that it would still work on the ZPoC network - that's a requirement for complying with the GPL (being able to recreate an identical binary with the source you're given)

pDC (Phantom's DC) needs source on its website to comply with the GPL
All of the Major mods - ODC, DC++k, and BCDC have source released.
Last edited by GargoyleMT on 2003-10-18 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: insert cartman phrase here

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-18 10:27

GargoyleMT wrote:DC@fe is up to a new 0.263 version still without source
They're sharing sounce for their latest versions now.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-10-26 01:55

.PhantomDC (http://pdc.recoil.net.nz) is now sharing source

JimL

Post by JimL » 2003-12-29 22:14

Aphrodite
Area51
Athena
Backyard
brasilnet
Danzig
DC WTB
DC++CEZ
DC++debugmess
DC++Dolly
DC++Finx
DC++GargoyleMT
DC++IHU
DC++MOA
DC++OP
DC++vic nez
DC++WTB
DC++XML
DCN++
DConPro
DCPP
DCPP.prv.pl
DCPro
DCSharp
IDC
KoalaDC
LDCC
Lizards DC++
MLDonkey
NZDC
oDC
PTDC
pyDC
QuickDC
Reverse Connect
RODC++
SADC
SDDC
SWDC
Twink
ULDC
Underground DC
Utopia DC++
wxDC
X-DC
xAyiDe's DC++
zDC
ZFdc

just wanted to add that, no wonder you get confused... oh, but I'm not sure all of those are dc++ mods, haven't tested half of them.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-01-04 08:44

JimL wrote:just wanted to add that, no wonder you get confused... oh, but I'm not sure all of those are dc++ mods, haven't tested half of them.
Most of them are. I initially had them in "Clients\DC++ Based" and Clients\Non, but xAyiDe aggregated all of them in his archive:

Code: Select all

<DIR>          Black DC
<DIR>          DC Delphi
<DIR>          DC Pro
<DIR>          DCGUI
<DIR>          DConPro
<DIR>          delchi
<DIR>          IDC
<DIR>          Koala DC
<DIR>          MLDonkey
<DIR>          NMDC
<DIR>          PyDC
<DIR>          QuickDC
<DIR>          Underground DC
Not all are binaries, some are only screen shots.

Don't forget MajinSoftware's mod (MS++V).

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-01-04 22:50

There's a mod called Twink?, damn I could have sword I worked on PhantomDC, unless there's another one :P

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-01-05 19:59

Twink wrote:There's a mod called Twink?, damn I could have sword I worked on PhantomDC, unless there's another one :P
Your work with the docking WTL code wasn't on PhantomDC. :) I saved it (and later let xAyiDe get a copy of my archives).

morpherex

Post by morpherex » 2004-01-23 18:23

=/ Is there one that allows banning of uploading to a user. I really hate people who download from me who dont share ANY files the hub requires, yet the owner doesnt do anything about it.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-01-25 12:10

morpherex wrote:=/ Is there one that allows banning of uploading to a user. I really hate people who download from me who dont share ANY files the hub requires, yet the owner doesnt do anything about it.
Banning uploads, even selectively, is definitely a feature that would put the client in a 'fake/bad' category. If the OP doesn't ban the users with 0 shares, and if they refuse (in PM) to stop downloading from you, find a new hub.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-01-25 12:17

I do believe i've heard rumours about clients that supports this, i believe they call it "slotlocking".. 'course, like GargoyleMT says, that would make you even worse than them.. ;)

On a different note, there are scripts that could help for this (i.e only allowing users with a share above a certain size to download from users with similary sized shares). 'Course, this would require the hubowner to implement it.. which probably won't happen if the OPs don't even care.

Melkor

Post by Melkor » 2004-01-29 03:56

I'll speak a bit on BCDC++ since it's on topic.

It's built off of current dc++ source. They have added scripting, hash searching, bandwidth limiting, stealthing.

I don't have much choise when it comes to the issue of bandwidth limiting. My cable connection is capped at 32kB/sec if i upload at that speed my connection dies and my cable modem goes into connection limbo (no, unplugging it and plugging it back in does not help). So when people connect to me they expect to get what they want and not get disconnected; the only way for me to do that is to limit my connection at 28KB/sec. This is only one of many reasons i hate comcast.

xayide

Post by xayide » 2004-04-05 08:00

Hey JimL, u ain't got no XDC++!!

I am quite sure of it as there are only a few who got it and it can be traced and it is protected. The guys who have are OPs in the hub where I am OP. Dont think any of them wants to share it with you. And u may have a folder called XDC++ (xAyiDes mod) But that is only pictures.
By the way u miss some few hundred clients from my archive ;)
Its 1.5 Gbyte in total now. Why dont you let me in on your forum? :))
(I got access to your forum and I always get your new client.)
You can always reach me nowhere!

JimL

Post by JimL » 2004-04-20 08:52

Hey xay.

"u ain't got no XDC++!!"
I never claimed I had, this is (atleast after my understanding), a thread listing up various dc++ clones/mods, and as one of the best CDMs out there I seriously felt xDC should be mentioned. I know it's protected (or atleast OPs have claimed so), but getting it have just never been a personal goal for me. Sure the "coolfactor" of having a "secret" client like yours would be pretty high, but like, it's just not really needed. Regarding the lack of clients then, uhm, sure. I started gathering clients a pretty long time ago, but sometime this winter I just got tired of it and stopped working on that collection. I love yours though, so I guess I'll just sneak in there whenever I feel the need of a weird "hungarian anime mod" or whatever's new and fresh..

Regarding the forum. I have banned one user from it (wasn't you),try registering again.. We dumped the db a week or so after the first testrun because we wanted to make some adjustments, that might be it (I'm just too lazy to check that up now).

"I got access to your forum and I always get your new client."
I don't think I ever stopped you from getting access oh yeah, and I'm not working on a client these days, must be mistaking me for someone else :D

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-20 10:39

JimL wrote:Regarding the forum. I have banned one user from it (wasn't you),try registering again.. We dumped the db a week or so after the first testrun because we wanted to make some adjustments, that might be it (I'm just too lazy to check that up now).
Good to know. If that's the case, the Stealth crew are a lot less snobby than some makers of CDMs (not a jab at xayide).

And if Brew would just obey the GPL, I think he'd have a few less people who were bothered by Stealth. (Besides, isn't ZDC becoming more popular anyhow - unsafe multisource and all [which seems directly contrary to a leech's goal]?)

w00t or something.

JimL

Post by JimL » 2004-04-20 14:55

the bans
that is the case, and the user in question was from .nz and has released a rather lame hex'd client of some sort...
the GPL thing
I'll make this as easy as possible, I wont go there..

Anyways, the use of zDC and rmdc has kinda exploded, and for good reason, the segmented downloading feature found in zDC works really good, atleast in my case. Unsafe multisourcing? Haven't encountered it, yet. w00t, uhm, now that is just some nasty CS-gamer wannabe haxxorcraxxor talk (or whatever^^). Guessing it was ment ironically tho, hoping it was..

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-04-20 15:13

JimL wrote:the GPL thing
That's incredibly facile.

JimL

Post by JimL » 2004-04-20 15:22

Yeah I know cologic, but I don't feel I am in a position where I can choose if the GPL is to be followed or not, so I feel commenting that is a little out of bounds. On the other hand, if everything was up to me then alot of tools and mods never would have been made publically available..

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-04-20 15:40

My understanding is that you run the (main?) Stealth DC download site, as well as its forums. You can claim I'm wrong here as you did when you claimed intrabrew didn't write Stealth ("oh, no, it was interbrew, and I never noticed!" ... bullshit.), but there's a fair bit of evidence that says you do. So, with that out of the way to preempt your incompetent attempts at ducking responsibility as per your history... [1]

Isn't
JimL wrote:if everything was up to me then alot of tools and mods never would have been made publically available..
somewhat disingenuous?

[1] Ah, yes, and the Stealth DC board policy about more or less not mentioning that the moderators are conveniently those behind the product is laughably retarded.

JimL

Post by JimL » 2004-04-20 16:40

Cannot argue with your understanding of things, but as it is at the moment I run the forums only, not the download site. Pretty much because of another side of my "incompetence" (which would be lazyness). Then we have a nicely written flame from you snipped from a seriously immature hour or two of my life, still ashamed of that stuff (really). So let's just get that too out of the way, ok? thanks ;)

Uhm, regarding the last quote there beeing disingenuous, well it depends on how you look at this. I've always been against flooders and tools in that category, and I have even mentioned at the dcs forums that closing the public side of dcs might be a good idea. But if you've read the thread you've seen I've gotten no real support on the idea at all. If I could choose, then I'd like to see all work on flooders/stressors/spammers, (or whatever they wanna call them) and the dcs project going private. This wouldn't only remove alot of faking and flooding problems, but would also make dcs GPL violation more digestible for you people.

Hehe, and the forum rules. I think that spesific thing has been laughed at since day one, and it started out as a "don't mention any real names" thing, and the ideas was something like if the OPs wanted to they could seriously make the lives of those writing dcs kinda messy. Giving that a little more thought I surely see how that's also pretty damn hilareous. Just like a totally sane DC OP would go ahead perhaps getting arrested/sued because he did some minor offence to somone who wrote a DC++ mod that allowed some kids to come into hubs without following their rules. The namething has turned more into a tradition now (heh, though that sounds totally insane).. But I honestly don't know how, when or why this turned into a "never mention my nick!" thing, because (pardon my english), who the hell cares about a nick? Now my nick, name, adress etc is publically available, I use this nick wherever I go with only one exception (DC), and having the info public doesn't really bother me much. It's like, I can't see anyone actually doing anything stupid, because in the end that's all it would be.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-04-20 19:34

JimL wrote:the GPL thing
Yup. I imagine there's nothing bad in Stealth Source, just that Brew has some idea (presumably - this is what made the most sense to me) that since Stealth is bad for the community, releasing source would only make more stealth clones.

Only he can speak on the issue anyhow.
JimL wrote:rmdc has kinda exploded
rmDC may be worse for the DC++ (not DC) community than Stealth is. PPK has closed up CZDC, and BigMuscle has considered closing up StrongDC - both in response to the way RM carries on.
JimL wrote:Unsafe multisourcing? Haven't encountered it, yet
Well, OrangeSlice has a nice post about this elsewhere. Maybe the hubs you have access to are better (or merely different) than his, and there are more similarly named same sized-files on his hubs, or whatnot. I know him (I believe), so I tend to believe his word. Plus, I haven't seen any of the multi-source programmers specificially address this issue (of making sure sources are compatible).
JimL wrote:Guessing it was ment ironically tho, hoping it was..
A fair number of people also use the term, other than CS players. It was meant as filler.

JimL

Post by JimL » 2004-04-21 00:54

I've tried zDC which seemed to be extremely "safe" as I downloaded several DVD movies (rar archives), DivX's and apps without seeing any corupted downloads. Or perhaps there was one corrupt rar file for every 200 I downloaded, or something in that direction. Suggest that people who haven't tried it check it out and see if it really is as unsafe as OrangeSlice says, perhaps I was damn lucky somehow.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-Einstein