Looking for non-hashing client

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

deaigo

Looking for non-hashing client

Post by deaigo » 2006-07-04 22:03

Needs to be fast(not a resource hog) and handle gigabit upload speeds like DC++ 0.261 can

I want it to be compatible with the new DC++.

multi segment thingo would be good too.

please tell me if you know of anything

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-07-05 03:03

There are no non-hashing clients that are compatible with newest DC++, afaik.

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-07-05 04:13

don't hash when uploading/downloading, and vice versa
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

deaigo

Post by deaigo » 2006-07-06 01:47

i will make this clear the newer vers are a POS comapred to the old ones... even with everything hashed they suck

imb

Post by imb » 2006-07-06 04:57

Hashing brings about a lot of benefits, if you fail to see them then it's your loss. Sounds like you're an impatient swine who's more concerned with downloading the internet rather than downloading in good quality.
"Every Englishman must have a hobby. Some like to collect the stamp, some like to make the jam, but the most fun is to a kill a little animal with a shotgun or rip them up with wild dog."

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-07-06 05:18

deaigo wrote:i will make this clear the newer vers are a POS comapred to the old ones... even with everything hashed they suck
Well stick with the old ones. Which since they don't hash, and have quite a lot of security holes, means that you'll get banned from a lot of hubs. And the rest will just reject you. :wink:

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-07-06 06:51

To create a compatible client:

1) Turn off TTH-tree downloads.
2) Turn off TTH-validations.

All and all this should be less than 10 lines of code to change in the codebase.
Also make sure you have turned off CRC32 checksums and ADLER32 checksums.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

deaigo

Post by deaigo » 2006-07-07 06:26

imb wrote:Hashing brings about a lot of benefits, if you fail to see them then it's your loss. Sounds like you're an impatient swine who's more concerned with downloading the internet rather than downloading in good quality.
i waited 12 hours for it to hash and the speeds were 3MB/s and (i was uploading!) while the other client(old ass DC++) easily does 40MB/s.(apon client switches speed changes were witnessed)

i can't use the old version as the new versions are not compatible with it. I do not lose out as i only use this at lans and upload well over a TB and download less than 30gig. At my last lan i became aware of my client incompatibility which affected a few people. So i thought i would fix it. I previously used the old client as i was too lazy to spend all day hashing for an event that lasted one day. But now with the incompatibility i spent the time to hash and the result was completly and utterly shocking. How am i meant to game and share with a client that is causing such a load on my system. All this load does is show me speeds that are one 10th of the speeds i am used to.

All i want to do is be compatible with minimal loss to my system resources and speed.

I was wondering if anyone knew of something as it would be of great help to me. I enjoy shareing stuff.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-07-07 10:27

The development of DC++ is not targeted to be used in LANs. Using DC++ on large shares for a short moment of time will be expensive in initial TTH-creation cost.

First of all, what settings do you have enabled when you find DC++ to be a hog? Have you enabled "Safe and compressed transfers"? What read-write buffer-values do you have? (all these settings can be found in advanced settings)
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

deaigo

Post by deaigo » 2006-07-07 19:29

well i only disabled compression and the other values must be deafault as i have not hcnaged them

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Looking for non-hashing client

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-07-14 19:06

deaigo wrote:multi segment thingo would be good too.
As an aside: without hashing, segmented downloading is dangerous since you cannot verify that it's the same file (unless you cheat and use the TTH that other clients supply), and you will not be able to verify you've downloaded segments correctly.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and if you've given DC++ a fair trial, there's nothing more to be done to make you happy.

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-07-15 01:11

it would be funny to create a special LAN client without TTH which has such a tag that it won't be allowed in most hubsofts by default. i.e. one has to set the hub to allow the client.

the client could indeed use the TTH other clients provide to check the integrity of the files but that wouldn't work in a hub where only these lan clients are used, that's a minor setback ^^
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.