DC++ Hub/Client LAN only

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Dooble

DC++ Hub/Client LAN only

Post by Dooble » 2006-06-11 15:34

DC++ is indeed a very nice piece of software for filesharing purposes. The chat features are also very useful. But using DC++ on the Internet or in a LAN implicates different requirements. (at least for me)

For use on the LAN I'd like to have a DC++ mod where most bugs from old versions are fixed, up-to-date features are implemented and that comes with optimized code for LAN use. What I'm thinking about is:

- Remove support for safe and compressed transfer
- reliable Upload/Download Limiting at LAN speeds (100/1000+ MBit)
- Possibility to switch off hashing features

Is there any DC mod that would come close to these wishes? Can you recommend any tool that does?

Anyway, I don't want to start a discussion about the sense of my suggestions. Apart from that any useful post would be appreciated ;)

ullner
Forum Moderator

Re: DC++ Hub/Client LAN only

Post by ullner » 2006-06-11 16:16

Dooble wrote:- Remove support for safe and compressed transfer
Disable "Enable safe and compressed transfers" under Settings -> Advanced.
Dooble wrote:- reliable Upload/Download Limiting at LAN speeds (100/1000+ MBit)
Will never happen with DC++. BCDC++ has a limiting feature.
Dooble wrote:- Possibility to switch off hashing features
How incredibly stupid. You basically want corrupted files. How incredibly stupid.

Dooble

Post by Dooble » 2006-06-12 16:39

Disable "Enable safe and compressed transfers" under Settings -> Advanced.
I already know how to disable this manually...
Will never happen with DC++. BCDC++ has a limiting feature.
This is why the thread was opened in "Other Direct Connect Tools"...
How incredibly stupid. You basically want corrupted files. How incredibly stupid.
You don't have to repeat a statement that is basically useless...

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-12 19:07

Dooble wrote:I already know how to disable this manually...
Then... What?
Dooble wrote:This is why the thread was opened in "Other Direct Connect Tools"...
Ah, sorry. Forgot to put on my mind reading hat. Oh shit, Harry got it... Damn!
Dooble wrote:You don't have to repeat a statement that is basically useless...
It's still true regardless if you think the statement is useless.

poy

Post by poy » 2006-06-12 21:54

ullner: i've downloaded a lot and even when the comp got blue screens and stuff, i've never had a corrupted download, so i think TTH mismatches are really rare. on LANs, they are even more rare.

Dooble: you could try DCDM++, but you will need to be able to recompile it by yourself if you want do disable hashing; look in the beginning of HashManager.cpp, it is very easy to disable hashing in DC++ 0.401 based clients.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: DC++ Hub/Client LAN only

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-12 22:22

ullner wrote:BCDC++ has a limiting feature.
It uses regular timers, which means that the limiting at high speeds dont' work so well (100ms granularity on the timer). I used multimedia timers in my mod for a while, but people complained that it interfered with playback in WinAmp. It ultimately wasn't worth it to maintain, since what I wasn't one of the users I was targeting.

Dooble

Post by Dooble » 2006-06-14 18:11

Thanks Gargoyle for your reply, that is what I was thinking about when I wrote "reliable" limiting... is there any client you know of which can handle this much better?

I agree that hashing is a useful feature with a lot of users sharing a lot of files for a long time in a (slow) WAN. But just as poy said, errors are quite rare. And if there would be an error, downloading a file twice is no problem on a highspeed LAN.

I know the R2++ client, which is based on 0401 and which supports disabling the hashing features, but it hasn't got a limiter.

I'm into programming and I would like to create my own client, but I haven't had enough time yet to start such a project :-/

Maybe there is another interesting, not DC++ based tool for file exchange on a LAN that would be worth a glance? Just tell me if you know one that you could recommend ;)

poy

Post by poy » 2006-06-14 22:13

maybe you could use FTP? but this would remove the whole "IRC" part. however, this depends on the LAN; on a small one with friends, the chats are not very useful when you can use your voice to talk to your friend :D

confuciou

Post by confuciou » 2006-06-15 12:02

The main problem with hashing is that it takes a long time, so when someone comes to the lan and installs DC++, their share often hasn't finished hashing even at the end of the lan. Hashing also eats up valuable cpu time which could be better spent transferring more data.

ullner wrote:How incredibly stupid. You basically want corrupted files. How incredibly stupid.
The data DC++ is recieving has already been verified (TCP checks the data to ensure it is correct before giving it to the application). It is still possible to get a corrupt file, but it is very rare, especially when both computers are at most 3 hops away from each other.

Dooble wrote:reliable Upload/Download Limiting at LAN speeds (100/1000+ MBit)
Why do you want to limit your network speed? If DC++ is hogging your cpu then ctrl+alt+del and set it to a lower priority. If you need to limit your speed on the network then a program like net limiter would probably work better than something built into DC++.

poy wrote:maybe you could use FTP?
There are several reasons for not using FTP at a lan party...
1) There is no lan-wide search function.
2) It is rather difficult and time consuming to set up an FTP server on every computer at the lan.
3) You would also need some way of advertising the FTP servers eg. IRC or a web server with phpbb
4) You can't enforce a minimum share limit, so there will be lots of people with plenty of stuff that aren't sharing anything.

Most of these aren't a very big problem at a small lan party, but once you have 20 users or more FTP becomes too impractical.

Dooble

Post by Dooble » 2006-06-15 13:49

I agree to most points confuciou mentioned.

Filesharing shouldn't consume too much CPU Power and it also shouldn't completely eat up the network speed. This way it would be possible for all users at a LAN to share files and participate in gaming at the same time.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-15 17:37

confuciou wrote:The data DC++ is recieving has already been verified (TCP checks the data to ensure it is correct before giving it to the application).
Eh? Please look up what hashing does. Because it has nothing to do with TCP's advantages.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-15 20:35

Dooble wrote:Maybe there is another interesting, not DC++ based tool for file exchange on a LAN that would be worth a glance?
I try not to keep up with clients derived from DC++ - I tend to feel like I'd like some of them to contribute their work back, instead of duplicating effort just to have a client they can stamp with their pseudonym.

But in any case, I haven't heard of a limiting client based on my code that kept my multimedia timers. Without them, you just can't limit higher than 1 MiB/s or so (this figure is off the top of my head, so it's liable to be wrong).