Ratio ??!

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

sleepwalker

Ratio ??!

Post by sleepwalker » 2006-05-13 13:43

I dont wanna let a user who has a ratio below 1 to download anything from me.Is that possible ?? How can i do that?
I use dcdm++ 0.041 and there is a down/up ratio limiting. I think it works if the downloader has the same client.Right? How can apply this limiting system to all user, clients? By the way, dont think I am a leecher, my current ratio is 9.

imb

Post by imb » 2006-05-13 13:54

It's not possible to detect what a user's ratio is.

Anyway some users give more than they take, and some users take more than they give. That's the nature of p2p, it all balances out, quit worrying I say :)

Quattro

Re: Ratio ??!

Post by Quattro » 2006-05-13 15:25

sleepwalker wrote:I dont wanna let a user who has a ratio below 1 to download anything from me.Is that possible ?? How can i do that?
I use dcdm++ 0.041 and there is a down/up ratio limiting. I think it works if the downloader has the same client.Right? How can apply this limiting system to all user, clients? By the way, dont think I am a leecher, my current ratio is 9.
the ratio you're talking about is how may times faster you may download then your upload speed. not very useful on asynchronous connections though.
and your DCDM is very old... update for the sake of any users which use newer clients
DCDM Forum wrote:Buggy Betas. Smiley
Read the Changelog before using.
Links point to SVN 89. Please note, Cookies need to be enabled to access the following two links.
www.freetohost.co.uk/mike/DCDM/dcdm-beta-svn.rar
www.freetohost.co.uk/mike/DCDM/dcdm-beta-svn-src.rar
« Last Edit: 2006-04-24, 14:02:15 PM by Pothead »
as you can see it can be a little buggy... dunno if there's a stable release with the fix for newer clients in it
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Ratio ??!

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-05-14 08:47

sleepwalker wrote:I dont wanna let a user who has a ratio below 1 to download anything from me.
If you're seeing a ratio anywhere, particularly in the list of downloads/uploads, it is NOT related to their upload:download ratio. It is the compression ratio for that transfer.

lysergicacid

ratio

Post by lysergicacid » 2006-06-01 11:50

hi all, does anyone know where the ratio for d/ling is defined against the u/l cap thats set on a zion bassed client in the src code ? my problem is i op in several hubs and run a hub too but would still like to keep my share, thing is with the client i have my ratio is 1:1 and thats just not good on a uk adsl line, i dont want to use bcdc++ i like the client i have, im primarily a gentoo user but its frustrating thats the linux clients all have stupid issues, im not good with ms vb but if i got an idea where to start / something to read at least i can try to learn how to fix this....... any help would be greatly appricieated. thank you in advance

imb

Post by imb » 2006-06-01 12:43

I wish they'd put a limiter in the standard DC++ client. Most other clients with a limiter are buggy and bloated.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-01 17:21

Just use external software. Probably a lot better than one in any DC-client.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2006-06-01 22:23

Though I've seen rather mixed reports of Netlimiter's efficacy and stability from multiple sources. I have little information about the others.

One advantage of a limiter built into the client is that it can avoid limiting the client-hub traffic (arguably one might want to, but that's not the traditional target of limiting, and generally one's in more control over upload resulting from such), which insofar as it carries connection and protocol control information is more important, probably...

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-02 04:39

cologic wrote:Though I've seen rather mixed reports of Netlimiter's efficacy and stability from multiple sources.
I didn't mean specifically Netlimiter... There must surely be other similar software.