Problems concerning downloading and searching

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.K

Problems concerning downloading and searching

Post by Mr.K » 2006-03-05 12:51

I reinstalled windows quite recently. Before I reinstalled, oDC worked, but after it did not. It has been some time since I used oDC, but nevertheless. Ok, perhaps I should mention that I have changed ISP since then, but the ISP I changed to do not, as far as I know, block or limit p2p connections. Friends of mine have the same ISP, and they have none of the same problems.

Ok, here's the deal: I use oDC 5.31 (that version works fine, doesn't it), and I know the program (I mean the IP slot, the active/passive status and that stuff). I am not connected to a router, so I don't need to "worry" about open slots. I am connected directly to the modem. Anyways, connecting to hubs works just fine, and so does chatting with other users in the chatrooms. However, downloading and searching does not work just as fine. Actually, when I search I get no results at all (not even when I am supposed to get results) and when I try to connect to other users it just says 'connecting' for an eternity. The program says that my download speed is a few hundred B/s, but I am supposed to have up to 256 kB/s (i.e. 2048 kb/s). My web browser downloads at normal speed (I opened it to check if my connection was at a slow state). Others can download from me (i.e. I can upload) at an ok speed, so that's no problem.

Do you have any idea of what might be the problem?
I tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't help.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Problems concerning downloading and searching

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-06 11:39

Mr.K wrote:oDC 5.31 (that version works fine, doesn't it)
oDC is based on a DC++ version released in January of 2004. Please upgrade - I've heard that many oDC users find fulDC appealing: http://ful.dcportal.net/

It's hard to support really old versions of DC++, and doubly so to support clients made by other people off of really old DC++ versions. :)

Mr.K

Post by Mr.K » 2006-03-07 10:51

Oh, I thought oDC was newer than that. That might just be the problem then. I'll try and get a newer vesion. But what is really the difference between oDC, fulDC and DC++? Some of my mates used DC++, and it seemed quite similar to oDC.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-07 12:07

Mr.K wrote:But what is really the difference between oDC, fulDC and DC++? Some of my mates used DC++, and it seemed quite similar to oDC.
Well, if Opera was still developing oDC and releasing new versions, there would be very little difference. Unfortunately, DC++ 0.306 is old, and lacks important features such as ADC support, safe&compressed transfers, and hashing. Specifically, by using a client without hashing, you're harming the ability of people downloading from you to verify that the file isn't corrupt, and you're harming yourself to some degree, since you won't find alternate sources for your downloads if the remote user has renamed the file.

I'm not too interested in selling you DC++ over fulDC - try both, and use what you like. In any case, always use a client that is based on the newest DC++ version.

Mr.K

Post by Mr.K » 2006-03-07 13:25

Thank you very much for helping. I'll see if fulDC works better.