search by hash date in dc++ or any other way.

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

mozzi

search by hash date in dc++ or any other way.

Post by mozzi » 2005-10-31 03:47

Hi sorry if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find in the forum searches.

I am a member of a very small private hub highest count of about 40 online users at one time and fairly new. The problem we have that is unique to a small hub is being able to find new updates, this is needed as the file availability is small.

Some of the ops have put together a bot that tries to address this problem but it requires members manually entering new stuff as they get it so doesn't really work that well and I would guess would be used less and less as time goes on. Also requires maintanence and relys on one person having a good connection 24 hour to host the bot.

What we need is a way of automatically scanning for the newly hashed files, that I would guess would have to search on some kind of date field, it would have to also compare already listed files so as not to repeat and not pick up moved files.

Does anyone know of any mod capable of this function or even a better bot version we would be very gratefull if any one can help or put us in the right direction.

Many thanks

mozzi

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: search by hash date in dc++ or any other way............

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-31 12:34

mozzi wrote:put us in the right direction.
The file list is XML. You can add new fields pretty easily, if you want. Only clients that know about those fields will display them. Searching by date will be imposible to do without changing the hub software, so if you're incapable of that, changing file lists is the best you can hope for - and even that requires programming knowledge and a license of Visual C++ .NET Standard (<$100).

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2005-10-31 14:10

Use the date on the files. Already exists, so don't need to store extra info.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-10-31 14:49

Pothead wrote:Use the date on the files. Already exists, so don't need to store extra info.
Huh?

ivulfusbar

Re: search by hash date in dc++ or any other way............

Post by ivulfusbar » 2005-10-31 15:06

GargoyleMT wrote:
mozzi wrote:put us in the right direction.
The file list is XML. You can add new fields pretty easily, if you want. Only clients that know about those fields will display them. Searching by date will be imposible to do without changing the hub software, so if you're incapable of that, changing file lists is the best you can hope for - and even that requires programming knowledge and a license of Visual C++ .NET Standard (<$100).
No need to change the hub-software. A CTCP-solution to the search-entry string would solve the issue for example. But it would still requier some extra client-mod-creation.

A joint filelist would be my solution. I.e. combine all the filelist to a single one.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

mozzi

Sorry for the delay...............................

Post by mozzi » 2005-11-01 03:08

Thanks for the replies and sorry for taking so long to get back, having problems logging in.

Although I don't fully understand some of the terminology mentioned I think I get the general jist of it, basically combine all the XML files from all the users then search against any new additions, is that correct? and if that is correct will that take a long time to do every time you want to check for updates, we are all expats and don't have the greatest connections here in South East Asia most have moderate 512 k ADSL.

Anyway I have passed on this forum page URLwith all the great suggestions to the ops at our hub, some of which are a lot more clued up than myself and will see what they make of it,

Many thanks again for the help,

mozzi

Ps I can't help thinking that this function might be useful for many small hubs and if anyone wants further info on the bot we have currently running that works fairly well, please let me know and I will ask our resident brainiack creator for details.