Upload Limiter Help for DC++0.668

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

JayB4twenty

Upload Limiter Help for DC++0.668

Post by JayB4twenty » 2005-01-12 02:00

I recently downloaded BCDC++ 0.668a. I did this because the uploads on my DSL connection where killing my downloads and ability to surf the web. I was so maxed out getting on the web, or getting a decent d/l was out of the question. The ratio of u/l : d/l was 3 or 4 to 1. I have no problem sharing; thats why I use DC++; but I have to have functionabilty on the web. BCDC++ has a bandwidth limiter; so I set it to about 75% of my u/l capabilty. It makes surfing the web possible again, but I am having a hard time with the hub ops. I get kicked all the time. They say bandwith limiters are not allowed? Then send me back to the DC++ web site for "acceptable" bandwidth limiters. Seems like a double edged sword. Cant use a limiter, unless I use one for DC++. Cant find one for 0.668, so I went to the BDCD version. It works great for my purposes in the moment, except for the fact I cant get into myfavorite hubs. Can anyone tell me an "acceptable" limiter for 0.668? Would appreciate any help. Cant wait to get rid of this crappy dsl service anyway. We are getting wired for FIOS 15/2 right now. One of the first US cities to get it. Will cost about 7$ more than DSL; but I can be rid of these u/l nightmares once and for all. Thanks for all the help.
Its all fun and games, until someone gets hurt. Then it's f***ing hilarious.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2005-01-12 06:19

There is no upload (nor download) limiter for DC++.
Try with Netlimiter, which is a third party program.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-01-12 06:25

Me don't like them limiters :(
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2005-01-12 12:10

You have several options...

1) Have BCDC use "DC++" emulation, which hides the bandwidth limiting tag.
2) Find new hubs where the OPs are not compleatly ignorant about the majority of broadband users needing to use a bandwidth limiter (within reason) in order to achieve any reasonable download speeds.

When OPs are stupid enough to kick/ban users for actually showing what they're limiting, they're just making the users go to further extreams to hide what they will always be doing. Quite shortsighted.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-01-12 13:45

BSOD2600 wrote:When OPs are stupid enough to kick/ban users for actually showing what they're limiting, they're just making the users go to further extreams to hide what they will always be doing. Quite shortsighted.
Definitely agree. There seems to be a need for change in policy/understanding/ethics on this.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Upload Limiter Help for DC++0.668

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-01-12 14:17

JayB4twenty wrote:Can anyone tell me an "acceptable" limiter for 0.668?.
It's the hub owners that need to answer this question for you. Their answer may be the "Use small send buffer" in Settings > Advanced.

BCDC++ has protection against users setting their limit too low - it will cap their download speeds too. I think this is fair, and the same cannot be said about 3rd party programs or some other DC++ limiting mods.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-01-12 16:33

GargoyleMT wrote:BCDC++ has protection against users setting their limit too low - it will cap their download speeds too. I think this is fair, and the same cannot be said about 3rd party programs or some other DC++ limiting mods.
Fair deal, unfortunately they seem to kick me for just using BCDC++ (SVN update of DC++ CVS code) in the first place. Anyway, I don't blame anyone/anyapp for this. I assume this is the price to pay with a differentiated community.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-01-13 12:40

Guitarm wrote:Fair deal, unfortunately they seem to kick me for just using BCDC++ (SVN update of DC++ CVS code) in the first place. Anyway, I don't blame anyone/anyapp for this. I assume this is the price to pay with a differentiated community.
BCDC++ has other features they might not like - like the ability to hide the bandwith limit in the tag, the ability to craft your own tag, or the potential "abusability" of the lua scripting.

Kicking you for using BCDC is certainly their choice. The most one (I) can hope is that it's an informed one.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2005-01-13 13:14

Yes, you're right, i'ts their choice, not much to do about it. And it's ok by me. I guess it's your choice as a "client-chooser" to use what you want/need, to be in a certain hub. Although I must say I find it a bit peculiar that hubowners/admins have such a strong role to play in this "game". But I guess its hard to "automate" the hub-administration. As a user of the DC++ client I see the real value in client to client communication and the hub more or less just like a router to the specific users.