Using an http tunnel for hub connection only.

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Rammeh

Using an http tunnel for hub connection only.

Post by Rammeh » 2004-10-09 13:25

Now I had a good search through the forums before I posted this, and I have read loads of topics about using a socks proxy for DC++, but none of the ones I have found seem to address this issue.

I am currently on a university network (yes, I know you don't like topics about bypassing university firewalls, but I do this entirely at my own risk), I know that all outgoing TCP ports from 1024 to 65***(whatever the last one is) are open, and I know that this means I should be able to use DC++ in passive mode. However, I don't have port 411 available for hub connections, and I would rather not try requesting it from the network admins :p

This situation means, of course, that I can't connect to any hubs so DC++ is useless. I have been experimenting with HTTP-Tunnel and setting DC++ to use a socks proxy server, and I managed to get onto a hub, search and even download. However, the free HTTP-Tunnel service is limited to 5k/s which means this is not a viable option.

What I would like to do, and I am sure should be possible, is to use HTTP-Tunnel to make the hub connection only, and use a direct connection for transfers and searches (in passive mode of course). I have added the address of the hub I want to connect to to my hosts file with the localhost address like so: "127.0.0.1 *****.no-ip.com", and to HTTP-Tunnel under Settings > Add Ports/Applications like so:

I set DC++ to passive mode and I can now connect to the hub, and certain people can connect to and download from me. However a lot of people who should be able to can't connect to me (definately not just caused by passive > passive), and I am unable to search. The transfers which have worked are definatately going direct from me, as I have had over 200K/s upload, and Netlimiter also shows that it's DC++ rather than HTTP-Tunnel which is uploading.

I believe that I am frustratingly close to what I want to achieve, but something is eluding me. Is there something else which I need to send via the tunnel? I don't think I have any UDP ports open, and only certain TCP ports below 1024. I am also unable to accept incoming connections. Does anyone know if any of these are required, and what IP/Port they use so I can add them to HTTP-Tunnel?

If anyone can help me go the final step to getting this working I would really appreciate it. I'm fairly sure what I want to do is possible, I just don't have the required knowledge of DC++ to do it.

Thanks.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-10-09 13:41

HTTP-tunnel only works for TCP traffic, DC++ searching requires UDP traffic. For that you need to socksify the traffic with something like Permeo.

In all likelyhood your schools firewall operates on individual packets, not on a port basis. So moving the hub connection traffic to http-tunnel and connecting everything else directly will not fool it.

I only read through you post once, so if I missed something, I apologize.