reloading file lists

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

Ormek

Same problem here with files.xml.bz2

Post by Ormek » 2004-09-27 01:59

Hi everybody,

I experience nearly the same problem as cyberal and really like to know, what I can do about it.
I'm using BCDC++ 0.401b. I don't know what client my peer is using as the finished download list does not show that.
I was online a few hours and one user downloaded files5.xml.bz2 about every 5 seconds from 5pm to 8:40pm. Another about every 5 seconds from 0am to 1am. And a third every 2 seconds for a quarter of an hour.
What I really like to know is, what can I tell those people? What are they doing wrong? Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards,
Ormek

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-27 03:10

GargoyleMT wrote:Now, read what I write: you need to give more details about what's happening to for any "bug" to be fixed.
Can anyone or anything be more clear and understandable than this?.
Speculation is common but it will not help people responsible for a software project to solve bugs (if this actually is the case in this matter).

Ps. It is not my intention to sound harsch

Regards
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Same problem here with files.xml.bz2

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-28 11:38

Ormek wrote:I'm using BCDC++ 0.401b
First off, 0.401a is old. I fixed up some bugs in 0.4033a last night, and if you're using the upload limiter, you really need to use the most recent version - something after what I'd call 0.4032b - limiting exposed a bug in the TTH leaf sending class.

If you report bugs, please please please pleas only use the latest version. And if you're trying to report it against anything but DC++, put it in Other Tools - this is the official DC++ board, and thus modified versions are only supported on that topic.

Ormek

Post by Ormek » 2004-09-29 06:12

OK. I'll switch to the most up to date version of BCDC++ and see if the problem persists. Thought you would have seen the problem before and knew that it was fixed from version xx to yy. I hate to update software for no specific reason (never change a running system!).

Oh, and I wasn't reporting a bug. I don't know, wether that behaviour is perfectly normal if my peer requests (and may request) that file every 2 seconds. Maybe some kind of search shows such a fingerprint. Be assured that if I report a bug it will contain a How-To-Repeat section.

Thanks for the help concerning versions and
THANKS for DC++ :wink:

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 11:26

Ormek wrote:I hate to update software for no specific reason (never change a running system!).
0.4032a has bugs with using the limiter and uploading tth leaves. Is that not enough of a reason? There are features and bugfixes, but if updating your software is such a hassle, why don't we forget the whole thing?

Ormek

files.xml is not in XML

Post by Ormek » 2004-10-13 11:58

Ok I updated to BCDC++ 0.4034b and it crashes from time to time, which the old version did not and it still uploads files.xml.bz2 indefinitly to some users, which the old version did also.

Yet, I took a wild guess at what might cause the real problem and that is the filelist itself. It is not in XML if, for example, a filename contains a quote "
After uncompressing files.xml.bz2 I found the following XML-Element:

<Directory Name="*removed*">
<Directory Name=""*also" removed*">
</Directory>
</Directory>

The directory actually uses the name including the quotes. This is ok as it gets mounted from a unix file system. Yet, when written to the XML file the result is no longer well formed XML and the client on the other side of the line chocks on my file and retries for ever.

I reduced my share to not contain those files and the problem was gone. Another fix would be to quote characters when exporting XML.

Best wishes
Oliver

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: files.xml is not in XML

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-13 12:30

Ormek wrote:This is ok as it gets mounted from a unix file system.
My version of Samba won't display directory names that I can't access on Windows in one if its shares.
(It generates short filenames)