Re: [dcdev] UTF-8 Chat for NMDC Hubs
Från:
Fredrik Tolf
Datum:
2004-09-19 2:10
Till:
Direct Connect developers

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 11:33 +0200, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Sunday, September 19, 2004, 3:55:10, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
>
> > As an alternative, have you considered using SGML entities (hexadecimal
> > encodings, that is, not the entire readable library)? Some other
> > programs seem to already be using it for things like dollar signs and
> > the like, so it may be a good idea to go on using it.
>
> Wouldn't that take too much space - at least 5 bytes per character?

Well, only for non-CP1252 characters. I can agree that UTF-8 would be
better - I was just thinking that since some programs are already using
SGML entities it would be quite nice not to create yet another way of
chatting. It's not really a bad problem until everyone starts chatting
in Japanese, and even then, it doesn't seem to me that chatting would be
the greatest bandwidth consumer.

In any case, though - I'd be pleased to see UTF-8 chatting, so please do
go ahead with that, but please indicate UTF-8 chat messages in some way.

Fredrik Tolf