Re: [dcdev] UTF-8 Chat for NMDC Hubs
Från:
Fredrik Tolf
Datum:
2004-09-19 3:55
Till:
Todd Pederzani <[email protected]>, Direct Connect developers <[email protected]>
Kopia:

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 08:46 -0400, Todd Pederzani wrote:
> If UTF-8 encoded text is sent to a hub for chat (or otherwise used in
> $MyINFO) whose software will support it?  Whose software will break?

I doubt anyone's software will break, since Windows CP-1252, which is
the default DC encoding, decodes all bytes that UTF-8 uses. It will just
look ugly.

You may want to mark up those UTF-8 characters, though, so that a layer
of compatibility is maintained even if someone else wants to decode it.

As an alternative, have you considered using SGML entities (hexadecimal
encodings, that is, not the entire readable library)? Some other
programs seem to already be using it for things like dollar signs and
the like, so it may be a good idea to go on using it.

Fredrik Tolf