RE: [dcdev] Searching
Från:
"Jonathan Hess" <[email protected]>
Datum:
2004-01-19 10:12
Till:
"Direct Connect developers" <[email protected]>

Sorry, catching up on old mail. Why not encode the bitflag to an ascii int
and pass that down the wire. Still text, still compact. ;/

Jon Hess

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On
Behalf Of eric
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 11:21 PM
To: Direct Connect developers; Carl-Adam Brengesjö
Subject: Re: [dcdev] Searching

If you use context, use binary flags instead of string names - you can
save alot of bandwidth - instead of 18 bytes ("base,main,operator") you
have just 2 bytes (in a text protocol, 1 byte if we can cheat) (using
table described below).

base     0
identify 1
auth     2
main     4
operator 8

base|main|operator = 12

earlier, we have said we won't use binary values inside a text protocol to
have something clean.

And last, about adding more operator `levels' - dont! I can only see the
usage of adding a `voice' (vip), and a global operator level if channel
support are going to be supported.
Adding too many of userlevels in the protocol don't allow much of the
customization that is available to DC today regarding user modes/access.

I agree, such things must be kept inside the hub and be invisible to client.

Eric