Re: [dcdev] Re: Thoughts about Fredrik's draft
Från:
Fredrik Tolf
Datum:
2004-01-18 3:31
Till:
Direct Connect developers

Jernej Simon?i? writes:
> On Saturday, January 17, 2004, 21:39:34, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> > > Also, since you're saving a maximum of 16 bytes, and only once when
> > you connect, by not sending the IP address, then really, why _not_
> > send the IP address? Or did you have another reason in mind?
> > How will the hub know that this address is real?

Ah, I see your point. Very good point, in fact. I guess there are two
ways of solving that. Either make the hub connect to each user to try
him (bad idea, I admit), or do something which I very much think that
we should implement anyway - build a "warning system":

If a user detects anything weird about another user (not being able to
connect to him, an error in a file request indicating fake sharers,
etc.), that user could send a warning to the hub, and thus the hub
would be able to connect to the original user and see so that he isn't
faking in any way.

It's a shame that there are such users, but apparently and undeniably,
some users just don't want to share. Therefore, I think we should have
this warning system in any case, don't you agree?

Also, if the hub disconnects anyone for this reason, it should also be
able to send a notification to all other clients to terminate their
uploads to that user.

Fredrik Tolf