John Bäckstrand wrote:
I say, let Arne decide the format of the protocol
(Why? I think he has shown us that he is good at ignoring what others think
about things/deciding things for others), but let us all discuss what the
protocol should actually _do_.
This was an excellent point when I first read it, it's time I responded.
These are some of the ideas that I'd like to be possible under any new
* Metadata returning in/with search search results
* Metadata about files contained in share lists
* Searching by metadata (including at the least the ability to
return a mp3 hit when only some portion of the ID3 tag is matched)
(DC++ will filter these results currently)
* Partial file sharing (with arbitrary ranges of the file completed
- not necessarily just the first X bytes)
* Upload queues (yes more than one, and on arbitrary file/user
characteristics [like a partial file queue that would push through
partial file requests quickly])
* Per-client karma/"ratings" system for rewarding downloads
* Source exchange, at least of clients you've seen on the same hub
(to avoid information leakages about clients you've seen on
* Hashing compatible with one of the web-based metadata
concentrators - like bitzi.com
These are bullet items... most of them have been fleshed out. Don't
bother trying to argue against them; these are my suggestions on what
the protocol should do.
From the ADC drafts so far, none of these features are ruled out by it.