Re: [dcdev] Re: New Encoding Scheme First
Från:
eric
Datum:
2003-12-02 5:42
Till:
Direct Connect developers <[email protected]>, "Jacek Sieka" <[email protected]>

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 11:16, Jacek Sieka wrote:
> About fourcc usage, I am not sure we can gain a lot here
> because there is some
> problem to take into account. Comparing 4 characters is
> always faster than
> comparing string of unknown size but to be very fast, we must
> compare the 4
> bytes simultaneously (one 32bits value). However, in this
> case, we must
> define the endianness of the protocol (big endian is better, like any
> portable network protocol (TCP, IP,...) else we will have PC clients
> incompatible with MAC one (ABCD on PC is displayed DCBA on
> mac). Only a onecc
> can solve the problem without conversion :)

Uhm, fourcc, four character code, stress on _character_ (one byte), i e no
endianness...

Yes I know, 1 byte is smaller in size but provides less possible command (how many commands DC protocol has ?).

Eric