SV: [dcdev] (no subject)
Från:
Gustaf Räntilä <[email protected]>
Datum:
2003-10-24 2:53
Till:
"'Direct Connect developers'" <[email protected]>

Okey,

1) You're probably right
2) Could be useful and adds very little complexity
3) True, $ would probably be "best" since it's already so greatly used
:-/
4) Well, IS there a client-client scheme? Iirc, it's only you that use
that internally between dc++ clients. Right? If
dctc/quickdc/blackdc/nmdc etc does support it, then fine :)
5) You're probably right here.

Gustaf

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] För
Jacek Sieka
Skickat: den 22 oktober 2003 22:44
Till: 'Direct Connect developers'
Ämne: RE: [dcdev] (no subject)

Oh, sorry, I didn't know about it...anyway, there are a few points in
there
that were discussed in the client-client extension protocol and that
formed
the current implementation, I think that was before your appearance...I
guess they apply here as well:

1) Versioning: Superflous, specially the .xx part...confusion could
arise
where x.01 should support x.00 as well and so on. This is after all just
way of getting the client's attention, which imho shouldn't need to
change
very often, and if it does we screwed up badly the first time and should
call it something totally different anyway.
2) Lists in lists for supports: Dropped in favour for easier parsing of
the
list, any lists in lists can be negotiated later (ie protocols for
secure
connections, ssl for example negotiates the protocols itself as a part
of
the standard), and most commands don't need this anyway.
3) , as separator: Why another one? There are already 3-4 different ones
in
the protocol, and the space is arguably the easiest one to read. (this
is
where I admit my mistake with the <++ tag and , =)

-- and here's some new ones --
4) Why a different scheme between client-client and client-hub? It adds
the confusion...
5) $Supported in the end doesn't really do anything, I mean the hub sent
what it supports, the clients did the same so all they have to do is
intersect the two lists, adding a totally different command for this
adds to
parser complexity.

Regards /J